Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Writing A Letter, And Other Odds And Ends

I disappeared from the blog this week to take care of sick kids. Poor M has had her first serious illness--well, really it was a combination of three minor illnesses that sent her into a spiral. She had hand, foot, and mouth disease, which is so common among 18-month-olds, on top of an upper respiratory viral infection and an ear infection. Her body just freaked out on Sunday morning, and she had a febrile seizure and turned blue before we could get her to the ER. Honestly, I'm still struggling with the febrile seizure--even though I've been assured that the seizures themselves aren't life-threatening--and I can't even write about all that happened yet.

But, M is feeling better, which always makes Mama feel better!

I'm also trying to get our ducks in a row for our move at the end of the month. Though we've moved plenty of times, this is our first move with children, and I dread it. I mostly hate taking the kids away from their school and their friends, and I know it will be a challenge to keep things relatively normal for them during the actual move. I try to remind myself how flexible kids are and that this will be a good thing for our family.

My writing project for this week is to compose a letter to J for his 4th birthday, which is in a month. How did this idea just now dawn on me? I think I'll make it a tradition for the kids, but I really wish I had started it years ago. The upside to being the firstborn is that you get all the firsts and all the pictures. The downside: your parents learn as they go with you!

My letter idea is that it's a way to reflect on how the kids have changed in a year, what they love at a specific age, and all the funny things they say and do. I'm behind on editing photos, I gave up on baby books (I guess I understand why my mom left my baby book incomplete), and I should have finished J's scrapbook nearly three years ago. But, one thing I know I can do? I can write a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment